Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am with my mother. She is 86. She has a history of

Customer Question
I am with my...

I am with my mother. She is 86. She has a history of laxative use and weighs 87 lbs. I believe she took laxatives last night. She is now in extreme abdominal pain and I am not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

As I said, it is not me. It is my mother. She called this morning and asked for us to come down but is not talking much. Nothing makes it better at this moment. In the past when she has overdone laxatives food and water help. This seems a bit worse than before but I am not sure if laxative use can cause a life threatening issue.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Except that she is 86

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Is she passing a lot of stool right now?

Can you measure her blood pressure and her heart rate?

She is not passing stool. Will get back to you with other info
60 bpm, 130/75
Hello??? Are you there?

OK, those numbers are reassuring.

She is not passing stool, and so the abdominal pain she is having may be because she is severely constipated, and the laxatives are stimulating the bowels to move -- but the stool is stuck. Some people would then try to help stimulate the bowels from "below", such as with a suppository and/or enema.

Of course, it is not possible for us to evaluate abdominal pain over the Internet, so if she continues to have severe abdominal pain, it would be best to have her seen in urgent care, where an xray and abdominal examination can be very helpful in determining if this is just a constipation / laxative issue, or something else.

Ok, if she has already gone could this be holdover pain?

Yes, the laxatives can cause the bowels to move (the peristalsis movement of the intestines can cause pain).

So, if the laxative is to blame, the pains should improve within hours.

But again, if her pain is severe, and she feels like she is getting worse, then having her seen in person by a medical professional would be best.

Best of luck.

Thank you. I won’t hesitate to take her in if needed

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!