Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 4 month old has a 101.8 rectal fever. He started

Second opinion] My 4...

Second opinion] My 4 month old has a 101.8 rectal fever

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

He started yesterday morning. He is congested but is also drooling a ton

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, has your baby received any routine vaccinations? Is he still feeding fairly normally and urinating regularly?
The last vaccine he had was a few weeks ago. He is still nursing pretty normal and is urinating and pooping
Thank you for that information, that is a good sign that he is still feeding, urinating and stooling well. With the congestion and fever of 101.8, your son is most likely experiencing a viral upper respiratory infection, or the common cold. At four months it is very common for a baby to be drooling a lot due to teething, but that would only causes low-grade temperature; anything 101 or higher is generally due to an infection. Viruses generally cause fevers for 3 to 5 days, and as long as he is feeding, urinating, and not having any rapid, shallow, labored breathing, you can safely or wait it out. You can use infant Tylenol for fever control. Is there anything else I can help with?
Thank you so much!! I think that’s it
You’re very welcome. Feel free to reach out in the future by requesting me for your health related concerns. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD