Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

66 yr old male tapering off klonopin. I am trying a

magnesium supplement 250 mg mag...
66 yr old male tapering off klonopin. I am trying a magnesium supplement 250 mg mag oxide for mood and because I get so little in my diet. . Is there such a thing as too much magnesium? I am suddenly feeling really tired and some muscle weakness. I thought there was no such thing as too much, and magnesium was supposed to be good for mood and many other things. If I took too much, do I need to take more calcium to balance it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also had a short episode of facial flushing. I took one 250 mg mag this morning at about 9 am. . I also took about 1,000 mg calcium I understand calcium and magnesium should be taken together.
3/25/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...for your age and gender, you can take 420mg of elemental magnesium. We do not know the 250mg Magnesium salt tablet you took contains how much elemental magnesium.

I suggest - Extra-strength Rolaids, which provides 55 mg elemental magnesium (as magnesium hydroxide) per tablet.

You can take 6 tablets of these per day.

Too much magnesium from food does not pose a health risk in healthy individuals because the kidneys eliminate excess amounts in the urine. But sometimes - high doses of magnesium from dietary supplements or medications often result in diarrhea that can be accompanied by nausea and abdominal cramping.

But facial flushing, tiredness and muscle weakness are not due to magnesium.

You can take calcium and magnesium - no problem.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Really? I will gladly rate your service!. I am feeling some relief already. I was afraid to eat anything and getting worse from magnesium in the foods. You say the magnesium in food is eliminated through urine, but the supplements is not? Very good to know. How is it you know that? To me, that is crucial for someone like me to know if I take supplements. Amazing that you know that? So glad you mentioned that. I was afraid to eat lunch! You suggest Extra Strength Rolaids for magnesium? I would never have thought of that. How much calcium would suggest for someone my age?

Hi...for your age and gender it is 1200mg per day.

But you should take at least 1000-2000IU of vitamin D3 along with this for better absorption of calcium.

You can take - SHELCAL-500 film-coated tab (1 per day): calcium carbonate 1250 mg, vitamin D3 250 IU. Apart from this any OTC vitamin D3 containing 1000IU per day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Very good to know. Should I also be taking some K2 with the D3 for better absorption of the calcium. I read that somewhere.

Hi...I have already suggested D3 in my previous interaction itself along with the dose you need to take. I think you missed reading it.

NO need to take vitamin K regularly please.

It is available in dialy food and also produced by the good bacteria in the gut.

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh Good to know. Thank you very much dr.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will gladly rate you now Dr.
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD