Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

One more question. Everywhere on Internet says that you can…

Customer Question
One more question. Everywhere on...
One more question. Everywhere on Internet says that you can contract hep c by sharing staws or banknotes and that hep c can survive on surfaces for a couple weeks. Am I not at risk because equipment we shared was a tiny spoon which we didn't insert inside and the spoon was just slightly touching our noses?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Julia, Thanks for the question, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing; I will follow up with you at the earliest.

Please see the situations that they have mentioned over the internet are different than the one you have been exposed recently

And as you have also mentioned correctly the following factors too have made it safe for you;

Only a tiny spoon was used

The spoon was not inserted inside

The spoon was just slightly touching your nose etc

Of course we are not even sure whether these individuals are positive for these infections, and whether they have large viral load, and also whether you have any open wound in your nose etc – but even if all these were possible still it is unlikely you have contracted the above viruses for the reasons mentioned earlier above.

The above type of exposure is certainly not enough to transmit any blood borne viruses such as hep c (and the other viruses too)

This is the reason you certainly appear fully safe in this regard

Once again I can very confidently reassure you, it indeed does not appear you have contracted hep c (also hiv and hep b) during the incident you have mentioned above, and you really do not require any tests for these infections, and as I had mentioned previously too if you continue to worry about the possibility of infection and if you just cannot erase the fear of these infections from your mind then you may get tested but I am very confident your tests for hep c, hiv and hep b all will come negative and definitely rule out you having contracted these infections during the above mentioned incident, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Can I let the system release the rating scale, and could you take a moment and kindly click a positive rating to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question? And this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Kindly let me know

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Family Physician, Doctor