Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Doctor, I made a mistake at the party and I shared coke with…

Doctor, I made a mistake at...
Doctor,
I made a mistake at the party and I shared coke with few people. We were using same little spoon to sniff it. One of my friends nose was slightly bleeding and I'm not sure about my nose, because for a many years I'm using nasal spray which sometimes makes my nose to bleed, so it can be slightly damage. I don't know what's the hiv/hep C, B status of those people, but do I need to get tested after this situation I described?
Thank you very much
3/25/2018
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Julia, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including blood borne viral infections, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned about possibility of having contracted hiv/hep b/hep c during the incident you have described above. I am very familiar with this type of health situation, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see there is no possibility of you having contracted hiv or hep b,c etc during the incident you have mentioned above

There are so many conditions that need to be met or fulfilled before these viruses can enter our body and establish an infection

It does not appear in your case any of such conditions have been met or fulfilled - so there is absolutely no possibility of having contracted these viruses in your case.

The viruses causing hiv, hep b, c etc are extremely fragile viruses once they are outside the human body, and these viruses cannot survive in the environment and on inanimate objects for long

In fact these viruses die very rapidly once they are outside the human body

HIV or hep b, c etc do not spread through inanimate objects or non-living objects such as spoon etc

Even a few seconds of exposure to the environment will lead to inactivation of these viruses. So, the virus would not be alive on that spoon to cause the infection.

Of course these individuals with whom you shared the spoon currently should be having active infection with these viruses, and also the viral load must be sufficient to infect other individuals, but even if they are currently infected and also have high viral load still for the above mentioned reason it is unlikely you were at risk during the above incident

Once again I reassure you, there is certainly no risk of having contracted hiv or hep b,c in your case during the incident you have mentioned above, and you appear certainly safe in this regard, and also you do not need any hiv, or hep b, c testing, If you just cannot get rid of the fear of hiv or hep b,c from your mind then you may try to get tests done, but this is just for your reassurances because when the test comes negative – certainly as expected – then you will feel fully reassured that you indeed have not contracted hiv or hep b, c etc during the above mentioned incident. Once again you appear fully safe, so please not to be scared.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Can I let the system release the rating scale, and could you take a moment and kindly click a positive rating to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question? And this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Kindly let me know

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you doctor, I'm happy with your answer and I'm ready to rate it.

You are very welcome! My pleasure! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Once again, you definitely appear fully safe during the above mentioned incident, so please not to worry about having contracted hiv or hep b or c etc during this incident!

Appreciate it! I hope the rating scale is available on your screen now. Please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you all the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Good afternoon Doctor,
I have one more question. It has been a month after that party and two weeks after I had diarrhoea which last only one day, went to toilet three times. Three weeks after for about a week in a night time I was sweating and keep waking up (but it may get be because of period and hormones). Also 5 days ago strange rash on my hands (only hands) appear. Skin coloured bumps very very small, doesn't itch, not red or dry. By symptoms and pictures looks like nitidus lichen rash. (at work I'm wearing rubber gloves, and last week was hot,but I never experienced this rash before.) No swollen lymph nodes, no high fever or sore throat. by reading on Internet these symptoms sounds like acute hiv symptoms. But also Im suffering from anxiety so not sure what's happening. I've got really paranoid that I cought hiv by sharing cocain spoon. Also I didn't mention that there was a gay couple and I don't know about their hiv status. What do you think about my symptoms I'm having now, is that could be acute hiv?

Good afternoon Julia. No, this does not appear acute hiv. You are not having typical acute hiv symptoms such as high fever, or sore throat, or swollen lymph nodes etc. The other symptoms you are having now or were having before are not typical for hiv. Also symptoms such as diarrhea lasted only a day, sweating lasted for a week or so. With acute hiv - the symptoms are expected to last longer than this. And also the symptoms are expected to occur around the same time, rather what has happened in your case is symptoms kind of coming one after the other, first diarrhea then it resolved then night time sweating and it resolved, and then rashes etc. The symptoms due to acute hiv infection are expected to occur around the same time, not necessarily in the same day - but over the span of few days the various symptoms are expected to occur together - and also along with typical symptoms such as lymph node swelling fever, sore throat etc. And the hiv rash is expected to occur diffusely all over not just in the hands as you are having, so this is also against this being an hiv symptom. Rather your symptoms are based on severe health anxiety and fear of serious illnesses and other issues such as hormonal, or possibly some kind of unusual allergy etc.

From the beginning it never appeared you had contracted any blood borne viruses such as hiv or hep b or hep c etc, and now your symptoms too do not appear related to any blood borne viral infections including hiv etc, so there is certainly no suspicion for hiv or hep b or hep c etc in you.

If you could try to rate my second question I had answered to you during your previous visit here I will appreciate it.

Thank you for your reply. Also I didn't mention that many years I'm using nasal spray and I know that my nose line is slightly swollen, do you think there is still no reason to worry about it? I would like to rate you again, but in a top of our conversation they not letting me to do it again because I already done it before, maybe you know if there's any other ways to leave you 5 stars?

You are very welcome! No, still it is very unlikely you have contracted hiv or hep b or c during the incident you had mentioned earlier. The various symptoms you have mentioned previously still do not appear are related to the above mentioned blood borne infections - so certainly nothing to worry in this regard.

Please see this question had already been rated by you, but I had answered a second question for you, which has not been rated so far. If you see a second question answered by me for you - then you may please rate it for me, and I will appreciate it.