Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My Mum took my son to the park a few days ago and upon his…

My Mum took my son...
My Mum took my son to the park a few days ago and upon his return, I noticed a puncture style wound in the end of one of his fingers. I rung her as I was worried it may have been from a discarded syringe, but she assured me she was watching him very well and it could not have been. The park is also very clean and we have never seen a syringe there before.May I ask, if worst case scenario, what are the risks to my son? He is 2 and is vaccinated against hep B. I suffer with OCD and anxiety and cannot shake the fear my son may have been exposed to Hiv or similar.
3/25/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

I understand your concerns however viruses like HIV cannot survive outside the human body as these come in contact with air so no risks of transission even if he had come n contact with a used discarded syringe or blade for that matter.

Just relax nothing to be worried about there.

Hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is it not true these diseases can live in syringe?
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello , I am Dr. Aren and I have over 37 years of clinical experience,I will help with your query.No,the HIV virus is very sensitive to change in temperature,sunlight and cannot survive outside the human body.Millions of accidental puncture wounds have been reported yearly,in the general population and in the medical fraternity ,but there is not a single case of anyone having HIV infection due to puncture wounds.You can rest assured that there is no risk of transmission of HIV to your son.If he is vaccinated for his shots ,including Tetanus,you really have no need to worry.rest assured, he is going to be fine.Your anxiety comes through with your question,but relax and do not worry.

No,such diseases will not survive in syringes or on needle points.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He is vaccinated for hep b and tetanus. Thank you
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor