Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 90 year-old mother complained of pain in her right leg 2…

Customer Question
My 90 year-old mother...

My 90 year-old mother complained of pain in her right leg 2 days ago. It seemed to get a little better yesterday, but today, there is swelling on her right thigh and the area is hot. She does not have fever and there is no breakage of skin.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Don Don't know...it just she complained of pain 2 days ago - no swelling. Swelling started today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is prone / susceptible to UTI. 4 years ago, she had UTI which didn't have any symptoms until she became very weak. It resulted in kidney failure (temporary) and septisimea She was in ICU for 12 days. They wanted to do a dialysis, but her kidneys started working to it wasn't necessary. She regained almost full function. She's also had a mastectomy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to know about that . Well it could be Deep vein thrombosis or clot (DVT) . Other possibility is cellulitus or infection . Both the possibilities need urgent management . I would recommend you to seek urgent professional help and take her to ER as it needs ultrasound doppler on her leg to check the patency of vessels in his legs . In case they find a clot she would need blood thinning drug ( heparin) . On the other hand cellulitis would need antibiotic course.

She can take ibuprofen or naproxen for pain . Try not to move the leg too much as it can result in dislodging of clot which if reaches the lungs can cause severe breathing issues which could even be fatal.

Hope everything works out best for her.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor