Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My friend is staying with me for about a month now and i did…

Customer Question
My friend is staying with...
My friend is staying with me for about a month now and i did not realize she had a prescription for Welbutrin and Prozac and stopped taking them for over 3 weeks now. She is anxious. But just got relaxed after i calmed her down... I am looking for the meds and will give them to her but it is 3 AM? Will they stabilize her if she begins to take them again and i will give her a small snack now that i noticed this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I forgot to say she is seperating from her husband of just 2 years and has a history of depression and addiction to self medicating for anxiety.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked if she wants to go to the local hospital and she said no,,, and that she just wants to rest with me. SHe has come to some understandings earlier in the day and some conclusions about herself and the direction she needs to take and panicky about it, She is resting now and fell asleep. I did not give the prozac or Welbutrin as she fell asleep while i am writing this. I Can not leave to drive her anywhere as i can not leave my family alone
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

Her anxiety can be a withdrawal symptom after discontinuation of the medications. Or it can be a relapse of anxiety for which she may have been prescribed these medications. If this is a withdrawal symptom her anxiety will reduce after taking the medications. But if this is a relapse of her anxiety disorder then it will take around 2 weeks for the medications to start acting.

Take care.

Please let me know if there are further questions.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can we tell ? And is it ok to have given it right away during the night ? or wait till morning or see a doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell by any test or history and we cannot differentiate between them. Both are equally possible. It is ok to give the medication right away during the night since she has been prescribed these medications. Only if the symptoms persist even after giving the medication she should see her doctor.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you!

Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 30 days ago

Dear customer,

Were you able to read the answer?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Question; On the pill bottle it does not state to swallow with food. Isn;'t that dangerous to swallow pills without food? It does not state this and she consumes on an empty stomach because there is no mention of taking with food. Won't her stomach, liver and kidney be harmed with a drug and no buffer to slow down its effects?
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 29 days ago

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Some medications can be taken with or without food and the presence of food does not have any effect on the absorption of the medication. Also, some medications don't have the side effect of gastritis. So, she can consume the medication on an empty stomach and there will be no harm because of this.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
won't the pills or drugs irritate the sphincter area at the top of the stomach if the person lays down or cause reflux if they don't eat something or drink alot of water at the same time?
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 23 days ago

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, they won't. There are many pills which can be safely be taken without any food or water and they will not cause any harm even when taken on an empty stomach.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you!

Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 5 days ago

Dear customer,
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Hi, I failed to share that my friend has reflux. In this case, might the meds if forgotten and taken during the night, would they cause agitation because of the digestive disturbance?
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 4 days ago

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Reflux will not have any impact on the action of the drugs. The drugs will still reach the gastrointestinal tract and will be absorbed normally. So, there will be no adverse reaction to the medication because of the reflux.

Take care.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I would like to clarify better;if medication was forgotten and taken during the night, would the medication cause agitation to the person taking the medication because of the irritation of the medication taken while soon being in a laying down position which for someone with reflux, has negative consequences as the fluids in the stomach and anything that is inside the contents of the stomach along with that fkuid, will reach the sphinkter area and create irritation...thus causing reflux symptoms to persist?. (the word i used to describe reflux is digestive disturbance)

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

The medication will not cause agitation but may worsen the reflux symptoms such as heartburn. The acid secretion from the stomach can increase after taking the medication and this can cause the heartburn and pain in the abdomen.

Take care.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
an already depressed person, can end up taking their medication late and instead of feeling better, can feel worse if they happen to have reflux. Simply because the nature of the reflux is one that induces a stress on the body. The person will experience discomofort, won't be able to sleep and will probably panic and it was simply caused by taking their meds too late at night on an empty stomach is that correct?
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 3 days ago
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.Yes, this is possible. Panic can occur due to worsening of reflux symptoms.Take care.Please rate the answer with 5-stars.Thank you!
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor