Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Today cleaning I breathed in some vapors of ammonia and

Today cleaning I breathed...

Today cleaning I breathed in some vapors of ammonia and bleach. I have been coughing . What should I do .This was more than 12 hours ago.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I started coughing about 6 hrs ago. No other symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No high cholesterol but on medication for that

3/25/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What is your age?

Do you suffer from nausea, shortness of breath, chest pain, sneezing?

Phlegm at the back of the throat?

Have you taken any medicine for such symptoms?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

I feel ok. I have been sneezing a little . I took some cough syrup and have been taking cough drops. I have also been drinking water. I am 58. It does feel like a dry cough almost like a tickle of the throat . I seemed to have stoppped coughing or at least 30 min or so. I also had a few beers when I went out to eat this afternoon. I have spit up a little phlegm but it was clear .
I took an alka seltzer cold tablet as well

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, I would advise you some self-care remedies which you can try.
Do nasal saline drops and Otrivin nasal drops.
You should do menthol steam inhalation and saline gargles.
Use a warm mist humidifier in your room.
You should elevate your head with an extra pillow.

If your symptoms will not show any improvement in a day then see your doctor for a clinical exam.
"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Do you think this is a result of the small amount of bleach and amonia fumes I breathed ?

Thank you for replying back.

Yes, it can be possible that they contribute to your symptoms.
I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Is there any chance of permanent damage from the fumes ?

I understand your worry.

However, it wouldn't cause any permanent damage if you had inhaled small amount.

If you have prolonged hours of a large amount of exposure to such fumes and you would develop shortness of breath, coughing immediately then it can be dangerous.

You should try such remedies for a day and if your symptoms will not show any improvement then see your doctor for a clinical exam.

In case of shortness of breath, persistent cough, sneezing, headache then see a doctor in the emergency room.

Bronchodilators and steroids can be prescribed.

Chest X-ray can be performed along with pulmonary function test.

You should wear a mask while doing work like cleaning.

Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor