Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was on here a couple days ago asking about heart

Hello. I was on here...
Hello. I was on here a couple days ago asking about heart palpitations and chest soreness. I had an ekg but my sternum area still aches and I've noticed it feels like my heart skips a beat when I exercise. The clinic I went to said if he felt anything was serious he would send me to a specialist. What is your opinion?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Let me at the outset tell you that chance of these symptoms being due to heart disease is low, especially with EKG being normal. The heart disease with these symptoms can be;

1) Coronary heart disease; which is disease of heart arteries. This is unlikely.

2) Rhythm disorder which is termed arrhythmia, in which heart beats are irregular. You may get a 24 hours Holter monitoring to rule that out.

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Costochondritis. Local analgesic cream and Tylenol would help.

2) Acid reflux. Prilosec and Tums are the treatment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I should explain more. I've been doing a workout that involves planks and weight lifting...I've been doing it for 3 months now and a couple weeks ago I noticed my chest hurt and my heart felt like it skipped a beat. No dizziness and no lack of oxygen. Now my chest sternum area has been achy lately and when I exercise it seems like I feel my heart skip a beat or flutter. I went to a local clinic where the dr did an EKG which was normal. He wasn't concerned he just said rest....but now it's all I think about (since I have kids). I feel like it's beating odd all the time.

An objective assessment of the issue is by Holter monitoring. That will categorically rule out any adverse cardiac event.

If you have any family history or following risk factors, no harm in getting work up;

• Cigarette smoker.

• A family history of heart disease.

• Elevated total and LDL cholesterol levels.

• Low HDL level.

• High blood pressure.

• Uncontrolled diabetes or high blood pressure.

• Physical inactivity.

• Obesity or being overweight.

• Raised high sensitivity CRP (hsCRP)

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
If I was at your office what would you have a patient do?

I would get an Holter monitoring for caution.

Symptom wise it does not seem to be heart disease.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you! Yes very helpful. I will meet up with my dr again and get further testing.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screens. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor