Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 55 year male and I have very painful swollen joints.

Customer Question
Hi. I am a...

Hi. I am a 55 year male and I have very painful swollen joints. The problem is the swelling keeps attacking different joints and moving. Started with shoulder 2 weeks ago , extreme pain. Could not sleep. Then went to right hand, 2 or 3 days, then other shoulder, couple days, then hand again, now my knee started hurting today. Ibuprofen not helpful. Knee pain about 5 on a scale from 1-10. Progression usually gets to 9 or 10 pain before it subsides. I am very fit and active. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Very swollen. The hands almost looked like baseball gloves when it was in hands. Now ankle extremely swollen

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Very healthy. Fit, active. Started taking an over the counter testosterone supplement about 90-100 days ago

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Medical
3/25/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 28 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms need investigations for;

1) Inflammatory arthritis. Autoimmune panel would be required.

2) Gout; Serum uric acid would be necessary for it.

3) X-rays for the painful and swollen joints.

This will give the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have never had arthritis before. All of the sudden have extreme symptoms with sudden onset. Any idea what could cause it? Since this started, 30 days ago, I have not had a day where a joint somewhere wasn't swollen or painful
If it is arthritis can pain be managed? Also, I am a non-drinker
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Do you have any questions that would help diagnose my condition?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Do have any advise that would help me with my symptoms?

Triggering event is difficult to ascertain.

But a viral or bacterial infection can initiate or trigger the body immunity.

Some allergic reaction too can be the trigger.

Immunological arthritis are diagnosed by the;

1) Blood work.

2) Medical imaging.

3) Biopsy of the synovium (covering of the joint).

Symptoms can be helped by;

1) Lidocaine cream

2) Analgesic spray.

3) Mild massage.

4) Acupuncture.

5) Motrin.

6) Braces

7) Ice compresses or heat whatever soothes you.

There are prescription medicines for immunological arthritis which are called disease modifying agents.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor