Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband Wayne has had an on-going problem for approx the…

My husband Wayne has...

My husband Wayne has had an on-going problem for approx the last 6 -8 months. It started with a scratchy throat then mouth ulcers which are still re-curing (not always in the same place). Went to our GP who put him on anti-biotics which seemed to help for a time but then it got worse again. Back to the GP who gave him a stronger anti-biotic - same result. Another GP visit and he referred him to an oral specialist who gave him a mouth wash and cream to apply to affected areas. This helped for a while but didn't clear it up completely. Then he started getting sores on different parts of his upper body which start off looking like a cigarette burn then get worse.Back to the GP who then referred him to an E.N.T. specialist who in his initial investigation found a growth on the back of his larynx just before last Xmas. We then had to wait till February for a microlaryngoscopy to remove the growth which turned out to be a (benign) papiloma. Since then he has had a blister on the ball of one foot which refuses to heal. We put a blister plaster on it and after a day when we tried to remove it, it burst and was filled with puss and stunk. We went back to the GP again who said maybe he has a staff infection and to try bleach baths which he has been doing with a little success i.e. this seems to dry the sores out a bit and help heal them but not completely and he's still getting new ones. Took him to a dermoscopy centre for a complete body check and she has found one of the sores on his chest which she is a little suspicious of and thinks may be pre-cancerous. She says he needs a punch biopsy on this but wants to wait till his skin clears up. He now has a hernia and is booked to have this operated on laparoscoply on the 31st of May. We are concerned that the skin issues may hinder this procedure. We are so over it all and don't know where to turn as no-one seems to know for certain what is wrong with him. Can you offer any suggestions? FYI he had a complete knee replacement almost a year ago and I'm wondering if maybe he could have picked up a bug in the hospital. Getting desperate. Thanks for your time. Regards ***** *****

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Only really basically in a work diary and from memory.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing comes to mind (not sure what you might mean) but his voice seems to be getting worse again to the extent that he's reluctant to answer the phone as he can't be heard properly and he's often having to try and clear his throat.

3/25/2018
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

I would suggest a biopsy of the skin lesion to rule out a possibility of cancer

The reason why I am saying this is the fact that a malignancy can cause an immunodeficiency state and then it can lead to various kind of infections

So basically a possibility of immunodeficiency has to be looked at and in the given scenario a malignancy can be responsible

So get the skin biopsy first and then move further

Also he should have his immunoglobulin levels checked as well to look for the immune status

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Do you have any other question?

I am available to assist you any further till you are satisfied

If done please leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING

Regards

DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor