Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 21. Four weeks ago I had an ultrasound and found out I…

I am 21. Four weeks...
I am 21. Four weeks ago I had an ultrasound and found out I have fluid in both of my fallopian tubes called hydrosalpinx. He prescribed me doxycycline for two weeks. I have my second ultrasound in two weeks to see if the fluid has gone away...from reading about this I have gathered the most likely end result is me having my fallopian tubes removed. I know this can be done laporscopically. I guess I'm worried about how major of a surgery this is. I know laporscopic surgey is less invasive and is the route I want t ok go if I have this surgery. Is having your fallopian tubes removed considered a bloody surgery? What are the odds of me needing a blood transfusion? It is against my religion and I just want to know some of the options and risks
3/25/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, what was the reason for your original ultrasound that led to the finding of hydrosalpinx? Were you expericing pelvic pain? And since starting the doxycycline if you had any pain are you still having pain?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was having very painful periods for the last couple years, and recently was experiencing stabbing pain when having sex. He suggested endrometerosis but wanted me to have an ultrasound to be sure, thats when they saw the fluid build up. But Since I've been on the antibiotics I feel fine. He started me on yaz where I wont have my period. so for 9 weeks I haven't been having the period pain..maybe slight cramping and spotting, But no stabbing pain during sex. When I was 18 I was treated for chylmidah I dont know how long I had it, it was the first time me being tested for STDs. But since then I have been with the same partner and get tested every year and have com back negative. Although having BV three times since then
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I was not experiencing a fever or feeling physically Ill other then the painful periods and sometimes painful intercourse
Thank you for that information. I’m so glad to hear that you are feeling better and receiving such excellent medical care. The most common reason for hydrosalpinx is infection, such as the chlamydia you had in the past. The fact that you’ve responded so well to the antibiotics and birth control pills is an excellent sign. Even if the hydrosalpinx is still present, in the absence of pain, your do not need to have surgical removal of your Fallopian tubes. You are still young and may wish to have children some day and Fallopian tube removal would render you unable to become pregnant. Finally, to answer your question, ultimately someday if you needed to have your Fallopian tubes removed, yes, it can be done laparoscopically, and is a relatively straightforward procedure with minimal anticipated blood loss so you would not need a transfusion. Can I answer any other questions for you today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could live with the hydrosalpinx until I wanted to have children and do IVF, it's not a surgery I would have to do right away?
that is correct. There is no need to do surgery right away. There’s also a good possibility that the hydrosalpinx could resolve and you could go on to have children when you choose to, naturally.
Anything else I can help with?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD