Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need consultant

I need consultant Doctor's...

I need consultant

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No

3/25/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience. How may I help you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, my name is*****’m 30 years old. I went to my GP because of headaches for almost 3 weeks. It was mainly early in the morning and late in the afternoon. I did two mris (with and without contrast)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There was some suspicious spots on my brain Mri and I’m referred to a neurologist, they are suspicious of MS. I wonder to know what is the chance of having MS?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have migraine aura for almost 15 years.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve attached the results
Hello Solmaz. I’ve received your multiple attachments. Pleas give me some time to review them and I will return.
Thank you for waiting. I’ve reviewed your MRI results and see that though there appear to be multiple areas only 2 appear to be of significant size, one noted as 9x5mm and another noted as “larger” while any and all others were described as “smaller.” It is difficult to estimate the chances of having multiple sclerosis based upon these MRI findings alone. I can tell you that in one large study with criteria of at less than 3 lesions suspicious for demyelination of at least 5mm or more, 96% of patients were in fact negative for MS. Imaging procedure results alone and their diagnostic percentages is a tricky area to draw conclusions from. Note also that the radiologist concluded that the findings were “suspicious” for demyelination, not definite. Having migraines with aura makes MS less likely in my opinion. The best thing to do in your case is to suspend judgement until fully examined and evaluated by the neurologist who will then best be able to give you the most accurate answers possible over time. Most likely you will need aerial examination visits and repeat MRI imaging to reassess your condition over time. I hope this answer provided you with some helpful information. Can I help with anything else?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. I don’t have any sympthoms of the MS and I’m really shocked. even with these findings and not having any other symtomes of MS, not fatigue, not diziness, not needling in my hands and legs. Are there any tests that neurologist will use to conclude my case?
That is an excellent question, yes, there are. Because you are not having classic symptoms or MRI findings, you can not be diagnosed clinically using what are known as the McDonald criteria. Because of that, additional testing can be done in an effort to exclude or rule out MS. There are three that I am aware of. A lumbar puncture, or spinal tap, to sample your cerebrospinal fluid (CSF, the fluid that your brain and spinal cord are bathed in) can provide much information that’s a bit technical but involve antibodies, proteins, pressure and cells. In additional, a blood sample looking for specific antibodies can also provide more information. Finally, special nervous system testing known as evoked potentials can measure brain activity based upon stimulation of peripheral sensory organs such as your eyes, ears and skin. I believe thru a combination of these and subsequent physical examinations and possible repeat MRI imaging, a well trained neurologist should be able to rule out MS in your case. Any other questions I can help with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks alot for your information.
You’re very welcome. I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD