Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a clogged ear since I took a flight while congested.

I have a clogged...

I have a clogged ear since I took a flight while congested. It has been 6 days. I was put on prednisone yesterday. I was prescribed 40 mg for 5 days. I have taken two doses and there has been no change yet, my ear has not yet started to drain. I was wondering if it is normal to not see changes until 5 days into the dose. Or does it typically start to clear in 24-48 hours.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Not that I am aware of. I take iron supplements and biotin, B-12, and Vit D.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a basal cell carcinoma removed on near my left ear. I have low blood pressure and low ferritin stores.

I also took a z-pack a few days prior and completed that yesterday.
I travel a lot and I am concerned about preventing this in the future. When I flew I took sudafed and sprayed Affrin in my nose. Is there anything else I can try? Like pinching my nose and blowing out?
3/25/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Do you feel pain?

Is there any other symptom?

There was pain but I believe the z-pack might have helped and then the prednisone seems to have helped too. I was sick with the flu which included a cough. The doctor who prescribed the prednisone thought it could help with both the ear and cough. In less than 24 hours my cough is so much better! But absolutely no change to my ear. Still feel fullness, echo, hear my heart beat, and decreased ability to hear.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The clogged or blocked feeling in the ear is related to block in the Eustachian tube.
Middle ear is connected with the back of the throat by this tube.
This maintains the air pressure with the atmosphere.
The air in the middle ear can get absorbed & feel like the ear is blocked.
Sometimes, there can be infection too.
You have taken antibiotic already.
Prednisone can take 2-3 days to have full effect.
You can wait a day or two.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.
During flight, there are some measures like yawning, chewing gums or trying to blow air out when you keep the nose (by pinching) & mouth closed can also help to relieve the block.
By doing this you increase the air pressure in the throat which forces open the tube.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Thank you. What would typically be the next thing to try if the prednisone doesn’t work? I understand I need to see a doctor but can you five me an idea of what other type of treatments have been used?
Also, I forgot to mention I was told to drop medicated ear drops into my affected ear 3x day. Is that more for comfort or can those help with the draining?

Which medicated air drop was prescribed?

Do you have perforation of drum?

Are you consulting an ENT specialist?

The drops are called Neomycin-polymyxin-Dexameth

You are always welcome.
I hope prednisone would work.
Steroid & antibiotics are the treatment for this problem.
Ear drop will treat an external ear canal infection.
If you do not feel better with these treatment, I would advise to taken an examination by an ENT specialist.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

As far as I know I do not as I have no draining and the doctor did not say that. He just said my eardrum “looked very angry”. I have not seen an ENT yet

It is good that there is no perforation.

I hope this treatment will work.

Thanks again!
Where do I do the rating?

You are always welcome.

You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Please click 5 star button so that I can get credit for helping you.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you.
Warm Regards

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)