Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a dry cough for three months and cant get rid of it.

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a dry cough for three months and cant get rid of it. I do not smoke .I cannot drink anything cold , if I go outside in the yard when I get inside I cough like crazy , I bring up a lot of flem, I drink lots of honey and lemon, I wake up 4 times a night coughing I really am tired all the time, I am weary of coughing .

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Yes , sometimes my throat hurt from coughing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have high Blood pressure and thyroid problems.

3/24/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, have you been treated at all with any medications for this 3 month old cough, and if so with which ones? What part of the country do you live in?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I live in California and I have had antibiotic azithromycin 250 mg tabs and drank 3 bottles of cough medicine and is now taking mucinez. I am tired and sleepy all the time now.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Just write the info . I am a senior on a fixed income and cannot afford to pay.
I understand. Thank you for this information. Has the doctor who prescribed the azithromycin done any x-rays or blood or other tests during the course of the 3 months of coughing? And do you reside in Northern, Central or Southern California? Is it in the desert climate or more temperate?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I am close to San Francisco. I did not get an x-ray or blood test. The Doctor said did not want to subject me to x-ray if not needed.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Doctor , Are you there ?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Doctor , I am waiting for a response.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Doctor if this conversation is over please inform me.
I’m here
Pleas give me a moment.
In Northern California in the Bay Area with your length of prolonged symptoms, in my opinion, at this point you most certainly should have at least a chest x-ray. In addition, I would do some screening blood tests as well as possibly a breathing test know as pulmonary function testing. Finally, I would definitely recommend a tuberculosis screening test. From the sound of it, other than infection of some kind, i.e. pneumonia or bronchitis, you may be experiencing asthma like bronchospasm, possibly from the recent change in season and increased aerosol allergens like pollen. Definitely time in myomd for more detailed testing and investigation after 3 months with no change after a Z-Pak. Can I answer anything else for you today?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Doctor , exactly what I was thinking. I will request some testing and hope it is maybe Bronchitis or pneumonia. I think I picked up a germ from my volunteer work. You have answered my question and make me feel better. I will get tested. Thanks
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD