Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I smoked 2 hits off a pipe Thursday and was then randomly…

I smoked 2 hits...

I smoked 2 hits off a pipe Thursday and was then randomly drug tested Wednesday morning. I took an at home immediately after my random and passed. Took another one the very next morning on my first void and passed (with a faint line). Thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

What do you mean time sensitive?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It was a urine test. I also went into labcorp for a 5 panel test the next day to see and got a negative result within 24 hours.

3/24/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswerr. This is Dr. Love.

Was this marijuana?

If so, when was the last time that you used marijuana before the two hits on Thursday?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it is marijuana. I had taken 2 hits on Tuesday as well but nothing prior to that for probably a month.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I also went into labcorp and got a 5 panel test done the very next day after the random. It came back negative.

Then you should be fine.

The usual period of detection of marijuana after a single use is about 3 days. When someone has repeated use, but only 2-4 times per week, then the period of detection is up to about 4-5 days. So, with your two uses in that week, you should be fine on the urine test that was performed 6 days after last use.

The fact that you also passed the home tests and the Labcorp test supports that you will pass the random test on Wednesday morning.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
you aren't concerned by the faint line the following morning or the fact that the random was done on my 2nd void? .. I did have probably 32 ounces of water before. Also, how long would it take the test to come back and is a DOT test any different than a normal test? I know the cutoff is still 50 ng/mL.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How certain would you say you are?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Oh and could there be a ton of difference between the specimen I gave to labcorp on Thursday and the random one on Wednesday?? I made sure to give the second void to labcorp with no dilution on Thursday.

No, I am not concerned about the faint line the following morning. or the fact that the random was done on your second void.

How long it takes to come back depends on the lab, but it is usually back within 2-3 business days. It largely depends upon the distance that the specimen need to be transported to get to the lab used by your employer.

Employers in non-DOT settings can test for a wider panel of drugs than the DOT test, but a DOT test is not otherwise substantially different.

As for level of certainty, doctors typically do not like to say that something can never happen, but the chance that marijuana might be detected in this scenario would be less than 1%.

The only difference between the specimens on Wednesday and Thursday would be the extra day. The specimen that you did when you first got home would be the closest to the specimen that was sent for the random test.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I truly appreciate you answering all of my questions. So do you believe at home tests are fairly accurate? My 3rd void (I literally took within 40 minutes of leaving the random) was almost clear. The random I gave was yellow tinted but pretty clear as well. If I ran 6.5 miles the Sunday after smoking, how would that affect the test?

Yes, the home test are quite accurate. The technology is the same as the screening tests performed by the labs.

Exercise does not significantly impact the duration of detection after two uses of marijuana. With chronic use, there is some accumulation of THC in fatty tissue, but that would not have occurred with only two uses.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it doesnt matter that the 3rd void i tested at home wasnt as clear as the 2nd one i gave at random? How quickly would an MRO contact me if there is an issue? Do you believe I should stop being paranoid? I literally csnt sleep.. eat.. I'm freezing.. etc. Am I freaking out for no reason?

No, the clearness of the 3rd void is not a reason for concern.

The MRO would usually contact you within a day of getting the result.

You do not need to freak out; you can relax.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I sure hope youre right. Im super nervous. So how many days until you think I was clear? That's my last question lol

You were probably clear by four days.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
you really think it's okay?

Yes, I really think that it's OK.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for all of your help, Doctor!

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Am I allowed to ask additional questions?

Yes. If you have a follow-up question on this original question, then you can ask it in this thread.

If you have an additional question that is not a follow-up to this original question, then that should be posted as a new question. The system says that you have a membership, and that membership means that other questions are included within that membership, so there will not be an additional charge. But it is still expected that each question be posted in a separate thread.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
that means I can ask another question in a separate thread without charge?

Yes. I cannot see the details of the financial arrangements, so I do not know what type of membership you decided upon, so there may be a limit to the number of questions per month, but you have only asked one question thus far.

If you have questions about your membership, then it would be better to send an e-mail to customer service at***@******.***. Customer service can view the details of the financial arrangements and can answer questions about your membership.

If you post a new question and want to direct it to me, then you can do so through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Dr. D. Love, Doctor