How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 13864
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son accidently backed over me stopping on top of me then

Customer Question

My son accidently backed over me stopping on top of me then ran back over me to get off me. That was on Oct 19/2016. It broke all my ribs, collapsed both lungs,they had to do a teach,There were several compression fractures in the thoracic area. I can walk a short distance with a crutch or my cane I still have alot of pain .I believe in the areas where they put four plates in my back. I want to walk again.but am losing hope of doing so. I am sixty one yrs old. Should I ask my family practice dr. To send me to a specialist any advice will be appreciated very much.Thank You!!
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Sitting or standing for any length of time make s it worse.I lay down for a while to relieve the pain some
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had two heart attacks one stint, high blood pressure& cholesterol.I had recovered from the strokes was walking normally& very active feeding34 tigers caring for them doing wildlife rehab also.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 months ago.

Hello -

Yes, I would ask your primary care doctor for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, to evaluate your multiple issues, but mostly of your thoracic spine and compression fractures in that area.

It is possible that the fractures could be causing excessive kyphosis (curvature) of the spine, and potential "pinching" of nerves, or pressure on the spinal cord which could be causing pain, difficulty walking, etc.

We would start the evaluation with standing X-rays, as well as MRI imaging of the spine. It is possible that there is still instability in the spine, or spinal stenosis which could be contributing to your pain and difficulty walking.

Best of luck.