Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has be diagnosed with low red and count and platelets…

Customer Question
My son has be...

My son has be diagnosed with low red and white count and platelets just above 30. He is 58. he has been anemic off and on since he was a very young child. He has to see a hemotoligst Mon. Should we expect the worst?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

He does

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been anemic off and on . He is retired military and has been exposed to low level reaiation, but not for long periods of time.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

It sounds like some form of leukemia to me

However, nowadays this is highly treatable

I have also had low platelets from time to time. Could this be heriderity?

Yes, that could but not at the level of 30. That is super low.

and the white count above 30 is very high

It doesn't look just hereditary

I'm very sorry to give that news and diagnosis

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thanks for this question
I strive for 5 star service for all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)