Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need to buy a blood pressure kit or monitor. I read that…

HelloI need to buy a...
HelloI need to buy a blood pressure kit or monitor. I read that the kind you put the cuff on your arm are more accurate than the wrist kind. The article said the wrist kind are hard to get the cuff at the correct elevation in relation to your heart. What do you think?A nurse practitioner came to my house a couple days ago as part of an annual wellness check for the healthcare coverage. She said my blood pressure was 150/110. (She checked it at the beginning and the end of my appointment. No difference.) She was more concerned about the lower number. She said to start monitoring my BP at home and to schedule an appointment with my GP. So I am going to my GP Monday. I have a bit of a headache.I am on BP meds. I was at my GP the week before and it was 130/70.So whatever advice you can give me for the right monitor would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Jeff
3/24/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Jeff I always recommend a monitor where the cuff is around the upper part of your arm--much more reliable than the wrist monitors

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-Bp742n-5-Series-Advanced-accuracy-Upper-Arm-Blood-Pressure-Monitor/38335908?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227026963496&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=43324026152&wl4=pla-82770405392&wl5=9011747&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=38335908&wl13=&veh=sem

Here's an example of what I'd recommend for you

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks. There is a big range is prices. Do the expensive ones do a better job (more accurate or reliable) , or are you just paying for extra features?

You're just paying for extra features that really aren't needed Jeff

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

My pleasure Jeff and call on me anytime