Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a pill stuck either in my throat or windpipe for…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a pill stuck either in my throat or windpipe for a day and a half. I have tried everything and all I''ve gotten is a sore throat

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

Since yesterday. No fever

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.

Do you feel nauseated? Vomiting? Short of breath?

Not at this time

Thank you.

If you feel something is stuck in your throat or down below above the wind pipe, the only way to decide further course of management is to have your throat examined clinically by the doctor. An IDL (indirect laryngoscopy) which can easily be done in the doctor's office can help the doctor visualize the interior and detect if there is any pill stuck or not.

If there is, it can be removed (if accessible though a scope).

There are also chances that there is nothing stuck actually, rather it is only an irritation in the throat that is giving you this feeling, which should go away soon with simple lozenges (like strepsils).

Though the symptoms you have currently are not worrisome or do not need an emergency management, but still if you are convinced that there is something stuck in the throat, better to have this examined and evaluated soon.

Most of the times, if the pill is down deep and not accessible, it is left alone as it will dissolve away soon, requiring no specific management.

I am sorry for a delayed response as I was off line.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.