Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 78 year of age. about two weeks ago, all my leg

I am 78 year...

I am 78 year of age. about two weeks ago, all my leg muscles, not so much my joints, started burning and aching. In a sitting position, It is too painful to lift my legs (thighs) off the floor. Can you suggest what I should do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Other parts of my body ache a bit, but not as much as my legs. I cannot get relief by laying down. I take Lyrica but it no longer works.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a diabetic. I've had heart surgery back in 1997, I've had both carotids taken care of.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, from the symptoms you describe, you are impressed that this is a lumbar pathology.
The lumbar spine deteriorates over the years as a physiological process but can be accelerated by overuse conditions.
These changes generate instability in the spine, with damage to the vertebral disco and nerve compression of the structures leaving the spine.
When sitting down, it is a flexing position of the spine that generates muscle fractures and increases instability of the spine with increased nerve compression.
In your case, I suggest an MRI see the status of your spine.
Depending on the results, we suggest starting rehabilitation work with strengthening the lumbar musculature to improve the stability. this will improve the symptoms.
It may also be suggested to start some muscle relaxants such as Cyclobenzaprine 10mg every 12 hours for 5 days, and the dose of Pregabalin (Lyrica) may be progressively increased but for this purpose, studies should be performed.
For the time being, avoid sitting, every 3 hours stretch the column and relax it.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
I was diagnosed years ago with spinal stenosis. At my age, I feel I am afraid to undergo surgery. Thanks for your diagnosis. I will relate what you have said to my physician and go from there.
Thank you.

it has been a pleasure.