Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can you answer questions about high levels of bilirubin? My…

Can you answer questions...

Can you answer questions about high levels of bilirubin? My doctor told me it might be Gallstones but I do not think so. I had very little pain, just nausea. I think it may be a more serious problem. Can you have gallstones with out pain? Is there such a thing of false positive with bilirubin blood test? She wants me to do another blood test for bilirubin

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Well this all started with finding out I had Barrett's esophagus and acid reflux. I completely changed my diet. I started getting diarrhea (which has calmed down) but they did blood tests at our patients and found high levels of bilirubin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I never been sick. I used to drink a lot but quit 40 years ago.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
All other blood were ok
3/24/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please what was your bilirubin result? Was it a total only or both total and direct? Do you have the actual results that you could attach here as a file or picture to review in context?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
All other blood tests were ok
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I do not have the Numbers or tests results. I was worried and saw your site. I am scared of pancreas cancer or liver cancer.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I just wanted to know if gallstones without pain can up bilirubin. Or if it is possible i get another result on the second blood test

I understand. With otherwise normal blood tests besides an elevated bilirubin, yes, it is very possible to have painless gallstones. It would also be very unlikely to have anything like liver or pancreatic cancers, since both of those conditions would usually show up with multiple abnormal test values. Your doctor is most likely being very thorough in determining the exact cause of the elevated bilirubin. Can I answer anything else for you today?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Abnormal blood tests , you mean?

Yes, by "multiple abnormal test values" I meant abnormal blood tests, which would have shown up besides just the elevated bilirubin, if something like liver or pancreas cancer was a possibility, sorry for any confusion. Can I help otherwise with any more questions?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is there anything else I should get checked? Can there be a false positive with bilirubin. She is getting me to do an ultrasound to look for gallstones. I would like to know why she thinks it could be a false positive. Can anything like diet affect bilirubin levels. I feel better already. I read so much negative things Online. I felt I had cancer

I understand, reading up on medical conditions and possibilities online can create a lot of undue stress. The ultrasound is an excellent and first line imaging test to check for gallstones. Lab tests can always occasionally come up as inaccurate, so the most important part of investigating any blood test is to repeat it and confirm that it is a true abnormal value. (I have personally seen many, many test results that when repeated came back completely normal!) Nothing in your diet is necessary to add or subtract for now, and no, no particular dietary intervention would explain an isolated elevated bilirubin. The fact that you feel better and well is a good sign, making any diagnosis of cancer unlikely. Any other questions?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Have a great weekend.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I had the ultrasound done . No Gallstones.
The ultrasound seemed benign. But now I have to do a cscan. I am worried they will find a tumour. She said it is possible there is a small growth there. But she still does not think it is cancer . But what else could it be causing pancreatitis if there is no sign of stones
No stones is a good thing! As is the overall benign ultrasound results. A CT scan is the next logical step. Doesn’t sound like your doctor is worried about any cancer at all. A small benign mass is possible, but as long as it’s not cancerous, could easily be dealt with. Hang in there, more answers are coming soon.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
First I want to thank you dr. Han for your patience with my questions.i got good results. No cancer on the cscan. No fluids around the pancreas either. This all started when I did a blood tests and it showed I had high lipase. Did the test again a week later and it showed it was double. 300 to 600. She did another blood test this morning and said it was down a bit. She still does not know why the lipase is up she Said she sending me for some kind of scan to see if ducts are narrowing naturally. Do you have any idea why the lipase is up?? I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD