Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up with a cramping pain in my left groin area. At…

Customer Question
I woke up with...

I woke up with a cramping pain in my left groin area. At first I thought constipation, since I attempted a bowel movement and couldn’t. I took stool softeners earlier and have since been able to have a movement, but the pain continues

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Since 5am. It woke me up. Being still and in place is the only thing that makes it a little better.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did have hernia surgery in this area about 18 years ago....I am a lung cancer survivor Stage One 4 years out....other than that I’m pretty good

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Is there any swelling? redness?

How is urine?

Did you take any medicine?

Hello again,

I was waiting for your reply.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The pain in the groin can be due to a few probables.
Arthritis of the hip can cause pain in the groin.
This can cause difficulty in getting up from sitting or walking.
An impingement of nerve as in the spine, kidney or renal colic can also cause pain to radiate to this part.
There can be a muscle spasm or strain but that would not last longer.
You need to give rest to it.
Skin inflammation, infection, hernia can be a source of pain here, but there should be some local changes like swelling, redness etc.
Anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin, Naproxen can be taken if there is no contraindication.
If the symptoms do not improve, you need to consult doctor for evaluation.
Doctor can take a few tests to decide about treatment.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.