Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

1.explain the meaning of folic acid or what is folic acid…

1.explain the meaning of folic...
1.explain the meaning of folic acid or what is folic acid
(a) indications
(b) contraindication
(c) dosage
3/24/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

ok

Folic Acid (vitamin B9) is one of the water soluble vitamins, which is necessary for maintaining some vital functions of human body, including blood cells formation AND normal development of human fetus (embryo).

Therefore it is medically indicated to treat ANEMIA & given to pregnant women To Prevent Neural Tube Defects in developing child in a women's womb.

It is contraindicated in patients who have any allergic reaction to folic acid tablets (hypersensitivity reaction).

The usual dosage depends upon the indication of treatment (generally varies from 1mg to 5mg daily)

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor