Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve had a strong cough with chest congestion for about 5…

I’ve had a strong cough...
I’ve had a strong cough with chest congestion for about 5 months. My nose has been runny with clear mucus as well. I wake up and need to blow my nose, and a few times thru the day. I find myself constantly clearing my throat and building up big coughs. It’s very frustrating and worrisome. I made a doctors appointment in a week and I’d like advice before seeing them. Worried it could be something serious.
Also, I’m 34/male
3/24/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This looks more like an allergy, to environmental pollutants, dust, garments, perfumes, temperature changes or smoke.

Sometimes, these symptoms of allergies may progress to take the form of mild asthma, which can give you continuous symptoms that may persist for few weeks to months if remained untreated.

Other causes like COPD appear least likely at your age.

Clinical exam, chest x-ray, some basic blood tests, and allergy testing may be required to ascertain the exact cause for this.

Because the underlying etiologies for this can be multifactorial, there are some skin and blood tests that can be employed to ascertain what agent is causing this, so that exposure to that particular allergen can be avoided in future.

Therefore, if after initial clinical assessment by the doctor, if he feels that is related to allergies, he can make referral to an allergist/immunologist for further evaluation.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor