Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having total knee repla, I am having total knee

Customer Question
I am having total...

I am having total knee repla

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I am having total knee replacement on March 28th. I had a positive MSSA but negative MRSA. I have been given nose ointment to use twice a day and told to bathe with Hibiclens once a day until surgery. Unfortunately, no one really gave me clear directions as to how to use any of these products. I have googled and learned about the nose ointment but get several different answers for using the hibiclens. Can you recommend where I can get the best info about this?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have RA and osteoporosis. Is that what you mean?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hibiclens is applied once a day. It is not used on perineum, above neck and on open wound.

Mupirocin is applied one-half of ointment from a single-use tube into each nostril twice a day.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I know all this, but can I wash first with regular bath soap and shampoo and then use the Hibiclens? Also, how much of the Hibiclens do I use? I was given a 4 oz. bottle and am supposed to use this for 5 days. I don't think I have enough in this bottle to do that. If I need more, will I need a prescription or can I get it OTC?

Four-ounce bottle is added to four quarts of water. This is applied to body with washcloth. This should be good enough for 5 days. This is OTC, so you may get it more if needed.

It is privilege assisting you.

You do not need to employ the ordinary soap, during its use.

thank you

You are very welcome.