Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My farts smell powerfully of ammonia and my bowels are

Hi My farts smell...

Hi My farts smell powerfully of ammonia and my bowels are loose.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No other symptoms

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No - nothing I canthink of

3/24/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

What is your age?

How many days do you have with these symptoms?

have you had diarrhea?

Have you changed your diet lately?

i'M 66. Yes, my bowels are loose. No change in diet.
Symptoms for three weeks now.
Hello, are you there?
Hello...
Is that it ---- for £26?
Dr Villegas, what is the problem?

The odor of ammonium in the gases is due to the abdominal alterations, if any, a bacterial or parasitic infection of the intestinal tract must be ruled out.
There are other alterations that can be seen over the years such as irritable bowel that generates an inflammation in the digestive tract and alters its absorption generating odor and loss of stool consistency.
For this you should suggest to perform an Ultrasound.
For the moment I suggest you start with medication that improves the bacterial flora of the intestine as this alters so you should start with Florastor capsules every 12 hours for 5 days. increase your fluid intake, get tested and see a doctor.

Sorry, I was disconnecting for a moment and I was writing your answer.

Do you have any doubt?

Come to think of it, I HAVE tried to increase the amount of vegetables I eat. Could it be something as simple as that, that is causing the symptoms?
Is ammonia related to protein breakdown?

vegetables do not produce ammonia odor, foods high in protein if they generate is odor because they are difficult to digest.
Have you ever had abdominal distention? gas increases?

Yes, the smell is related to the digestion of proteins, for example meat, chicken, eggs.

Hello?
Are you busy with other calls?

read my speeches?

Yes, the smell is related to the digestion of proteins, for example, meat, chicken, eggs.

Hello?

This site is not sensitive to the control bar at the side of the page that lets me move the page up and down.
Yes, I've read what you have written. That is interesting - vegetables don't produce ammonia. Could onebad egg be responsible for this whole problem that has been going on for three weeks?

Yes, a bad egg could worsen it and alter the digestion process, my suggestion is to start the bacterial flora that will tell you if in 72 hours the gas or feces do not improve I suggest you have the tests.

any doubt?

3 days. OK. Thanks for your time.

yes, 3 days.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

It has been a pleasure.

Just one last question: Can I use a cheaper version of Florastor?

Yeah, Enterogermina's one of them. You really all work.

Physis advanced probiotic has 10 active strains of bacteria. Is that enough?

Yeah, that's enough.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
OK. thanks. I will order them. Now I will say 'goodbye' and rate you. Cheerio, and thanks again.

It has been a pleasure.