Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bone spurs in my knee. I got a shot in my knee

I have bone spurs...

I have bone spurs in my knee. I got a shot in my knee yesterday,it usually helps. I stayed off of it all day. When I got up, it hurt worst than ever. It hurts to stand. The pain is where they put the needle! I called them & they said they did all they could do! They suggested I go to er but I have no insurance (62 years old) Can you help?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Standing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had these for years. I have been taking diclofanac that's controlled it until last week.

3/24/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Is there any redness / bleeding / swelling in that area?

Or is it just pain?

Mostly pain but swelling too. I need some relief!!

OK.

The tough part is that the injection (the steroid medication) probably hasn't had enough time to "kick in" -- as it generally helps with inflammation over the first few days after the injection.

There is probably more irritation right now because of the actual injection.

Using heat, taking pain medications, keeping off the knee for now would be recommended. I would anticipate that the pain in the area would start improving after the weekend.

Sorry, not much can be done right at the moment, and if you went to the ER today, they probably would just shrug their shoulders and give you pain medication and tell you to followup with the doctor that did the injection on Monday.

Try to hang in there. Best of luck.

I don’t have any pain medication except for over the counter. I need something strong to get me through week end. What do you suggest?

Ibuprofen and naproxen is generally what is recommended - pain medication with anti-inflammatory effects.

Anything stronger would be prescribed by the doctors in urgent care, or by your doctor who did the injection.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Thanks. Do you know anything that will give me some relief besides surgery?