Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having severe leg cramps. Worsens at night but I have…

Customer Question
I am having severe...

I am having severe leg cramps. Worsens at night but I have them during the day. My bones cramp, not just my muscles. It getting scarry because I can't go to the bathroom sometimes, I can't sit with leg and toe cramps. I have them from my toes to my hips. I'm drinking apple cider vinegar and tonic water and tart cherry juice. what next?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling. it's getting worse, started at night time while laying down, now it's while sitting, standing. It' almost like it hoovers in my lower body and if I move a certain way or think it, I can start cramping. Weird, I know.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Do you need to know my meds? I don't have any medical history of symptoms myself or from family.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?

Age: 67
Several months now
No
I am diabetic Type 2, I have fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol
May go after talking with you.
Not for these symptoms, I've tries apple cider vinegar, tonic water and tart cherry concentrate
I take a several meds, do you want the list?

Please write them.

Are you waiting to give me an answer?
I cannot afford a phone call.

It is not necessary to call.
It is an automated response.
Some customers want it.
It is website generated.

Please wait, I am writing your answer.
Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

There can be a few causes for these cramps

Deficiency of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium-electrolytes, vitamins, dehydration etc. are the major factors.

Poor circulation also can cause muscle spasm.

Diabetes, hormonal irregularities, neurological disease etc. can cause such symptoms.

When it is continuing, a consultation with doctor preferably a neurologist is needed for physical examination and have some tests.

Till then, you can take some home measures-

Please take plenty of fluid, fruits, vegetables etc.

Limit coffee, alcohol, tobacco if you take any.

Regular exercise or a walk daily is good to prevent it.

Massage or stretching of the muscles can be done.

Warm shower or bath before sleep often helps.

Some people feel relief with massaging of ice.

Muscle relaxants like Flexeril, Lioresal can be prescribed for short term use.

Botox can be done.

The effect usually lasts for months.

You can discuss with your doctor about those medicines.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish you healthy life.

Regards.