Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have itching in the armpits, behind the knees and the back…

Customer Question
I have itching in...

I have itching in the armpits, behind the knees and the back of the head. It comes and goes and can be intense for 15 seconds or so.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I have noticed no swelling and it does not interfere too much with my sleep.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had pneumonia a year ago

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2018
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a surgeon and would like to assist you.

Can you tell me how old you are, gender, and any medication you take?

I am 79, male, and I take medication for blood pressure, cholesterol and a diuretic
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

OK. Well first I look at potential side effects of medications, even if you have been on them for years. Blood pressure meds can cause a drop in certain vitamins and Mg over time and therefore produce a secondary effect that could manifest as itching. Same with the statin cholesterol drugs, drops CoQ 10 levels which can cause some muscle fatigue. The diuretic can drop potassium levels. Do you take potassium? Any supplements?