Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 16. Recently, he’s been having a problem with his…

Hi. My son is...

Hi. My son is 16. Recently, he’s been having a problem with his right leg hurting him, in particular, the back of his leg, behind his knee cap. With that, he’s been having a hard time walking. Now, he just came to me, complaining that his left foot is normal temperature, and his right foot feels like an ice pop. The cold feeling is actually now traveling up towards his knee. What could possibly be wrong?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nothing is really making it any better. And it is not swollen.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Not really

3/24/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Thanks for your question.
Can you feel the temperature difference between the two feet?
Is there any bluish discoloration to the right foot or toenails?
Does he feel any tingling or pinprick sensation in the right foot or leg?
I can definitely feel the temperature difference between the 2 feet. No bluish discoloration. He does feel tingling throughout his entire leg
Thank you for your reply.
I am typing my answer and would post it shortly.
Couple of possible causes need to be looked into and ruled out.
The most likely cause is nerve compression in the lower lumbosacral spine.
This can cause temperature changes, pain and tingling sensation in the lower limb.
Other possible cause can be decreased arterial blood supply to the affected lower limb. This is less likely as it is commonly associated with discoloration.
He needs to be examined by a doctor who can order relevant investigations which may include Magnetic resonance imaging of the lumbosacral spine and colour doppler study of lower Limb arteries.
He should be seen as soon as possible.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor