Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 63 year old female who was diagnosed with stage IIIb…

I am a 63...

I am a 63 year old female who was diagnosed with stage IIIb colon cancer in 2016. I had surgery and took chemo. I have been having CT scans and blood work every three months during 2017 and now my first three month scan a couple weeks ago for 2018. This recent scan is the only can that has really shown anything. the results were linear scarring of the posterior medial aspects of each lung base, prominent splenic vein, small splenorenal shunt, chronic, slight decreased overall attenuation of the liver. My oncologist hands me the report and says everything is normal. Some lab values were glucose 103, ALT 16, AST 13 eGFR 93Bili 0.4, alkaline phosphatase 79, LD 147, CEA 1.9. As a nurse I have the tendency to be proactive. Not mention that I raising three of my grandchildren and so not want to wait until there is a real issue to deal with. I have been taking milk thistle to try and maintain a healthly liver in case the cancer returns. I have been telling my Dr. of the pan I have been in my left side for 6 months now. I have a dry hacking cough which produces clear thick sputum. I had HTN prior to cancer diagnosis and not so much now. How much should be concerned about metastatic disease at this point? I do like to drink wine and am concerned about fatty liver or cirrhosis, and now lung cancer??

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just HTN, gallbladder surgery at age 29, and other cosmetic surgeries . I have been intubated about5 times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Forgot about my history of phentermine use for weight loss over last 4 years, which did not work and I now weigh 205, the most I have ever weighed in my life. Did the chemo destroy my thyroid? The scan said it looks normal. Am I pre diabetic or insulin resistant? My brother died at age 35 with diabetes and my mom recently died in 2016 with bladder cancer.
3/24/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a colorectal surgeon. I just woke up here on the east coast. I know you posted a few hours ago, but I would like to assist you if you are still there.

There are lots of ways to be more pro-active!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am listening.

I know a stage IIIB is concerning, but honestly you are right on tract and your oncologist is doing a good job.

Scarring of the posterior medical aspects of each lung base is more typical of being 63 than any sign of metastasis. Do you smoke?

Did they offer a PET scan?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I fon’t Smoke but I did when I was 20 years old quit in 1980. No the insurance company would not approve a PET because I had a CT before surgery. My surgeon required one prior to surgery. I had been noticing some SOB after activity and my oxygen saturation had been going down a little each year for the last couple years, it stays around 92 to 94 percent, I had been concerned because the cough went away after surgery but is back a year later after chemo.

If you are truly concerned about the cough, you could see a pulmonologist.

At this stage I tend to take an integrative approach, meaning maximizing health so as to prevent recurrence.

I do this by developing a plan based on specific testing. I like to do complete vitamin testing, and supplement where needed, then develop a diet and exercise plan. Are you interested in such an approach?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like vitamin testing. After my surgery I was put on vitamin D3 I was taking 400 units until my cousin who all of his siblings have chron’s takes 5000 and I tried and my right side hurt worse so I dropped back to 400 u, I also take 3 colace and 2 senna’s a day along with a multivitamin and an extra 2000 of vita C a day. I started taking probiotics and I love the way they make me feel better but they severely constipate me to the point I have to disimpact myself. Both my parents are deceased now but I was told by them that I was born with “more colon that most people” and That I had been disimpacted frequently as a child, I remember U had to drink castor oil every day and I had to keep a record of BM’s. After my surgeon said she still put back an “abundance of colon”. Yes the cough keeps me from sleeping most nights. I have musical lung sounds on deep expression, I wondered uf my bronchial airway had been permanently injured during intubation. Yes I spoke with a pulmonologist at the hospital I work with and he said if I came to see him he would work me up as asthma to begin with an inhaler and do further testing.

I agree with seeing a pulmonologist. He may also want to do some sleep studies.

I like a liquid Vitamin D (because Vit's A,D,E,K) are fat soluble and they are better absorbed in a oily liquid. They are 1000IU per drop.

For constipation I recommend: Exercise, Fiber (30 + grams a day), Water (1/2 your body weight in OZ of water a day), Colace, and a Magnesium citrate tablet nightly, dose 300-600mg.

For probiotics, I recommend VSL# ***** 112.5 billion units. Should be refrigerated at the store/pharmacy. Once daily.

For cancer patients, I recommend maximizing mitrochondrial health. First by testing. I use Genova NutraEval testing.

Here is a mitochondrial diet plan:

The other Mito Food Plan was to large to upload, but I am happy to send it to your email.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am very interested in the other Mito Food Plan, please send it to my email. Thank you so much!

What is your email?

Got it. Will send them to you.

Also try to find a functional medicine physician in your area who can assist you and provide testing.

Look on IFM.org as they list practitioners.

Best of luck to you!

Please 5 star this if it was helpful! I will still be here.

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** I seem to have a lot concerns. I just don't want this cancer to come back anywhere else. Because of all the lymph node involvement I begin to get paranoid when a symptom comes up. I must get rid of this lingering fear and continue to trust in God and do what I can on my end to prevent it. Thanks for listening and yes I will rate you 5 star.

God Bless you and I will say a prayer for you!

Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington