Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 53 year old woman with some food sensitivities and…

I'm a 53 year...

I'm a 53 year old woman with some food sensitivities and allergies (pecans, gluten, apples, garlic) and I accidentally ate 4 thin sliced pieces of french bread about 2 hours ago that I realized afterwards were moldy on top and now I have very loose stools (almost diarrhea) with nausea and a lot of stomach gurgling you can hear out loud. Everything I looked up said it shouldn't be a problem but now I'm worried about food poisoning. Since it's 1;15 am I don't know if I should just wait to see if I get better or what? I've taken a couple of doses of Pepto and a probiotic, but I'm worried I could have food poisoning. I have Gerd and I take omeprazole and generic zantac too, and I've already taken those as well.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take zestoretic for high blood pressure, mucinex, Bupropion, zyrtec, and sudafed PE, as well as some vitamins and motrin & tylenol as needed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Oh i'm allergic to Penicillin ( I think, not 100% sure, I took an antibiotic derived from it years ago that i think I had a reaction to), sulfa drugs, codeine, and vicodin

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

How many times do you have loose stools after Pepto and Probiotic intake?

Do you suffer from nausea, vomiting, body ache, fever, dizziness?

Can you monitor your blood pressure at home?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Have had loose stools after taking 2 doses of Pepto within 2 hours, i’m nauseous and a little lightheaded but I’m also prone to getting very anxiety-ridden when I’m worried so I don’t know for sure if a little anxiety has made the symptoms worse, although I definitely know I’m nauseated and have loose stools due to indigestion or the moldy bread. Yes I can monitor my blood pressure at home but I haven’t done so yet

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description, You should initially try OTC Emetrol liquid to relieve nausea.
And start hydration with Gatorade.

You can try Ginger Ale for nausea.
And start hydration with homemade oral rehydration solution in her room with Six (6 tsp of Sugar, a Half teaspoon of Salt mix in One Litre of clean water).

Start Citrucel and Gas X.
Eat a BRATY diet(Banana, rice, applesauce, toast, and yogurt).
Take proper rest.
Warm compresses with a heating pad on the abdomen can be tried.

Over the counter, Imodium can be tried for diarrhea.

If you develop vomiting, recurrent watery stools, dizziness then see a doctor in the emergency room for prompt treatment including anti-emetic injections,anti-spasmodic injections, and IV fluids.

In the meanwhile, monitor your blood pressure also.

If your blood pressure is getting lower than 100/70 mm Hg then take Gatorade frequently.

You can see your doctor in the morning.

"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor