Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mom is experiencing a severe pain in this one specific…

Hi my mom is...

Hi my mom is experiencing a severe pain in this one specific spot on her right thigh She can’t even get up and really walk The pain comes and goes but when it happens it really hurts

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain just started today. If she sits or lies down and massages it she said it feels better slowly. But it still really hurts to touch that area

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing else

3/24/2018
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor

Hi

Welcome to just answer

I am Dr. Gupta, board certified and practicing since the last 16 years.

A sharp pain in thigh, making it difficult to stand can be due to various reasons -

- a muscular injury or an injury to ligament is the commonest cause

- sometimes a pain in the lower spine cause such a pain in the thigh

- rarely it can be due to blood clots or varicose vein.

I would recommend her to take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen and rest with her leg elevated on a stool or on the bed. Apply warm or cold compresses whichever gives her relief.

If there is no response to ibuprofen, then she needs to consult an Orthopedecian for a detailed evaluation and if need me investigations like X-ray

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Regards

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Hi Dr. Gupta,I'm glad to know it is most likely not due to blood clots - that was my biggest fear. My mom said her pain is gone today, so it is very strange that the pain was there yesterday but not today. She said if it comes back she will go to the doctor to get a physical evaluation. Thank you very much for your assistance.Kelly

glad to be of help.

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery

Regards