Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I may be having a procedure and have to have general

anesthesia. I was reading an...
I may be having a procedure and have to have general anesthesia. I was reading an article that says that anesthesia can increase risk of death up to a year later esp. for people with obesity and previous health conditions. They said sometimes inflammation can get reved up for weeks after procedure. Also some people experience vertigo for days after. I am really concerned as I have chronic Epstein barr and and even going to the dentist makes me feel like I have the flu. I I also live with chronic dizzy sensation and motion sensitivity. I feel like the risk of anesthesia may be greater than choosing not to remove the uterine non cancerous polyp I have. What do you think about anesthesia?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I would like to add that my concern is after I go home about have effects from the anesthesia days after. Also that study that was done said 1 in 20 people die within a year after anesthesia. I thought that was scary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/24/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,i have over 37 years of clinical experience, and i will help with your query.The usual risk and complications of General Anaesthesi(GA)are usually seen in about 1 patient per 10,000.Yes,obese people have a comparitively higher incidence of complications,so losing weight before surgery would be ideal.but not imperative.You will get a pre-anaesthetic check up by your Anaesthesiologist,who will usually need investigations regarding your heart,medical history,history of allergies/whether smoker/asthmatic or any other problem.The Anaesthetist will remain by your side through out the surgery and will ensure you recover from the anaesthesia given.All said and done,anaesthesia today is as safe as crossing the road.Yes, mishaps do occur due to anaphylactic reactions or other causes but the anaesthetist is there to ensure no such problem arises,he is an expert at handling any complications or surprises during and after the surgery.All said and done,today there is also a choice between general anaesthesia and spinal anaesthesia for lower abdomen surgeries in which the patient remains conscious through out the surgery.You can discuss this with your surgeon and anaesthesiologist before the surgery.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
My worry is the effects after going home. I was reading that people have dizziness for weaks after.I say this because I live with chronic dizziness and I am afraid it will flair it up. Have you heard of long term effects from anesthesia?

A very small number of patients usually report such side effects ,it is the job of the Anaesthetist to ensure no long term effects occur,Most of the side effects usually occur immediately after surgery/anaesthesia and are short lived.they include nausea,vomiting,dizziness ,throat irritation which usually resolve in a few hours.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I am really sensitive to things and ususally end up taking longer to recover even from simple things. do you think they would do a spinal without sedation?

A mild sedative is usually given to cover the anxiety of the event.If you request for a spinal anaesthesia instead of a general anesthesia,,I am sure your doctors will carry out your request if there are no contraindications.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor