Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have what feels like a lump or at least I can tell you my…

I have what feels like...
I have what feels like a lump or at least I can tell you my right and left lowest rib are asymmetrical, the lower right one is tender to the touch and sometimes without touch ... i also have a growing lump on my xiphoid process ... no trauma ... it started small and i ignored it and it has now quadrupled in size. I have intermittent upper back pain and most recently i’ve been experiencing finger numbness and tingling bilateral hands all digits and some chest pain with some chest-like pain in the scapula area ?
3/24/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Over how many days has the lump grown?

Did they do a chest X-ray?

Which fingers specifically are numb?

90 days over my sternum
i’m going for an MRI ... but very far out .. i do feel discomfort where the sternum lump is when i inhale, intermittently hymns then all 4 fingers, also intermittent, but lasts for quite some time ... a day or so, at times
i’m at work

OK, thank you for the answers.

The lump growing over the past 90 days is unusual, but the first thing I would think of with a lump in the area where you describe is that you may have a slight dislocation of where your rib connects to the breastbone (costochondral separation)

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/chest-abdomen-pain/costochondral-separation

But these kinds of lumps generally do not grow - and so the imaging study will help to take a better look at the area, to see if there is a concern with some other process (infection, tumor) that would need further intervention.

The tingling into the hands could be issues with nerves, such as carpal tunnel syndrome -- and in combination with chest pain in the scapula area -- perhaps a pinched nerve in the neck, "cervical radiculopathy" -- which can cause pain and numbness that can affect the hands as well.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/neck-pain/what-cervical-radiculopathy

It may be helpful for you to discuss this with your doctor as well, to see if further testing, like MRI of the cervical spine can be ordered. Nerve conduction tests are also helpful if carpal tunnel syndrome is suspected.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon