Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

When I lay down on floor on my back I seem to get very dizzy…

Customer Question
When I lay down...

When I lay down on floor on my back I seem to get very dizzy and when I stand up kinda goes away but then I feel nauseous

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No only meds I take is for thyroid

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Yes and no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: PM&R Doc, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
PM&R Doc
PM&R Doc, Board Certified MD

Hello there. I am a board certified medical doctor and I think I may be able to help but I need a little more information first. Can you describe the symptoms a little bit more? Do you feel as if the room is spinning a bit or do you feel light-headed? If you don't lie down but just move your head rapidly does it cause the same effect?

Light headed kinda but much worse if I lay down and use my hands above my head gets worse

When you say lightheaded do you mean that you feel as if you are going to pass out or do you just feel dizzy? If light-headed is it worse when you are actually lying down or when you first get up?

The reason I am trying to make a distinction is that there are several conditions that can cause a feeling of lightheadedness when going from lying down to standing. Two conditions are somewhat related and involve the inner ear which is responsible for helping with equilibrium. The two conditions are labyrinthitis and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or BPPV.

Another reason for feeling lightheaded is a drop in blood pressure when going from a position where you are lying down or sitting down and then standing up suddenly. This can be due to dehydration or sometimes other medical conditions. This condition is referred to as orthostatic hypotension.

I will try to drink more water I’m kinda slack on this thanks. Boyd

My initial guess based on the information provided thus far is that you have either BPPV or labyrinthitis. These are very common conditions. Here is a summary of the difference between the two.

Labyrinthitis: The vestibular nerve carries information from the inner ear about head movement. When one of the two vestibular nerves is infected, there is an imbalance between the two sides, and vertigo appears. The symptoms of both vestibular neuritis and labyrinthitis typically include dizziness or vertigo, disequilibrium or imbalance, and nausea. Acutely, the dizziness is constant. After a few days, symptoms are often only precipitated by sudden movements. A sudden turn of the head is the most common "problem" motion. While patients with these disorders can be sensitive to head position, it is generally not related to the side of the head which is down (as in BPPV), but rather just whether the patient is lying down or sitting up.

BPPV: In Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) dizziness is thought to be due to debris which has collected within a part of the inner ear. The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common "problem" motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called "top shelf vertigo."

In summary, patients during the acute stage of labyrinthitis (the earliest and most symptomatic stage) experience continuous severe vertigo. As the swelling in the inner ear goes down, this vertigo is caused mostly by movements. If you never experienced constant vertigo during the early stages of your symptoms, then you probably don't have Labyrinthitis. BPPV patients experience episodic vertigo generally only caused by specific types of movements. Some patients can experience rocking, lighheadedness, etc... But the key is movement, most likely looking up or down, or rolling over in bed. If your vertigo/dizziness can be caused by mostly certain types of positions, then BPPV is likely.

I hope this information helps. I would be happy to discuss this more if you would like. Or you may reach out to me again if your symptoms don't resolve and we could discuss treatments.

If you are satisfied with your answers today please rate me 5 stars. Thank you.