Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was taken off maxzide 2 months ago after being on it for…

I was taken off...

I was taken off maxzide 2 months ago after being on it for 15 years. Since then, I have been retaining water in my legs. Is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nothing is making things better. I have swelling in the legs mostly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had been diagnosed with Meniere's disease by 2 doctors who have since retired/moved out of the area. The new doctor I saw doesn't think it is Meniere's. I DO have RA and take Enbrel, methotrexate, and plaquenil.

3/23/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Yes, certainly it is possible.

The medication you were on was a diuretic. It helps to control blood pressure by increasing the amount of fluid your kidneys excrete -- and thus by being off of it, your body is not getting rid of as much fluid as you used to.

That then translates to increased water weight, and swelling in your legs. If this continues to be a problem, discussing it with your doctor to consider further testing, or restarting the medication may be helpful.

Since the doctor I saw was an ENT and doesn't WANT me to take maxzide, what type of doctor would I see to restart it?

Well, you can see if they are willing to start another type of diuretic. Or try and figure out why the ENT doctor wanted you to stop taking it after 15 years. (Usually with Meniere's they do try to start a diuretic medication to help with the symptoms).

How long does it take to truly adjust to not taking maxzide?

I would think several weeks, and so with the lower extremity edema (swelling) you are having, it would be beneficial for your primary care doctor to order bloodwork and evaluate you to see if the medication should just be restarted.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon