Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is 82 years old and was diagnosed with blocked…

My mother is 82 years...
My mother is 82 years old and was diagnosed with blocked femoral artery in her right leg. What treatments are available to open up the blockage?
3/23/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington. I am a surgeon.

May I ask when the blocked artery was diagnosed and why?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has a recurring foot infection of her right foot. She was in the hospital Thursday and given IV antibiotic for 3 days and was released. 2 days later she was back in the hospital with her foot swelling up again. She then had an CT or MRI with contrast and they told her her artery was blocked
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has a history of cryogolbemia vasculities in her legs

A compromised vascular system can indeed be the cause on non-healing wounds.

Antibiotics can compromise the gut flora, please be sure she is on good probiotics. I recommend VSL# ***** 112.5 billion. Can be found a some pharmacies and grocery stores. Take 1-2 per day.

A vascular surgeon can do a bypass to "go around" the blockage if it is a short blockage. Then she would be committed to blood thinners.

Does she have pulses? Is the foot still warm?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
still has pulses and still warmth in her foot. They said there were collateral arteries. What artery would they use to bypass and are there any other options? What is the recovery time after a surgery like that

With cryoglobulenemia, sometimes steroids help without surgery. Does she have Hepatitis C?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No hep c. She was in hospital in January for cryoglobulenemia and 50 mg took care of it. Why would taking surgery enable her to avoid surgery?

Cryoglobulenemia is a vasculitis phenomena. The treatment is directed at the underlying cause, which are conditions that cause it, such as hepatitis. Cold temperatures cause these cyroglobulins to form solid obstructions. The way to relieve an acute obstruction, like threatened limb loss, would be with surgery to restore blood flow to the limb. I am glad she does not have threatened limb loss. Steroids frequently work, but as "band-aids" for a while. Hopefully remission will occur. What did her vascular surgeon recommend?

We use bypass grafts to bypass good flow arteries to distal collateral's.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vascular surgeon has seen her yet

Has not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet

OK. As long as her foot is warm, it is ok. Wait for an opinion from the vascular surgeon. They deal with lots of these cases. Surgery is for threatened limb loss.

Make sure she does not smoke, as that really hurts peripheral circulation. keep the limb elevated. Keep warm compresses on it. Massage the limb to increase lymphatic flow.

Can I help you in any other way?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She was smoking a pack a day I candy Massage because her foot hurts too much. Should I be worried about her coronary artery disease if the femoral artery is blocked?

Yes, all of her arteries are at risk, as it is a systemic disease. Please try to get her to quit smoking. The massage (gently) may be uncomfortable but is important. It is very important to note the temperature of her extremity and if it becomes cold, get her to a hospital right away, as that is threatened limb loss and needs immediate attention.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are in the hospital now

Great. Still check her foot frequently, as the nurses are so short staffed. Alert them to any temperature change.

Good luck. I am glad she is in a safe place where she cannot smoke (smile).

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are welcome. Thank you for being that child that is there with her! We need you! I will be praying for you both.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very kind thank you again
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington