Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having a stabbing pain in my left calf every 2…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having a stabbing pain in my left calf every 2 minutes for the past 6 hours. Had it before about a month ago and went to the dr. D-timer level was high but ultrasound showed no clot...it went away but now it’s back... on vacation and hope not to have to go to the dr. I got a pain patch and Salinas but no relief. Any suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No injuries...this is the second time it has come on unexpectedly

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have auto immune hepatits

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Just pain is not the only sign of DVT (blood clot) in the leg. Severe pain on moving the ankle up and down, severe swelling, bluish or white discoloration, engorged superficial veins on the calf, numbness, and tingling are all signs of DVT and although not all of them are present simultaneously, at least 2 to 3 are present when DVT occurs.

If you have some of the above-mentioned signs, then you will need to go to an Urgent Care or the ER. If you have pain above a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 then you should ideally also go to the ER or an Urgent Care.

If this is just pain, accompanied by no other symptoms, then I will suggest that you take an over the counter anti-inflammatory pain medication like Ibuprofen or Aleve and keep your leg elevated over 2 pillows, get some bed rest and see if this improves in a couple of hours.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.