Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was in a car crash 3 weeks ago, both my knees crashed into…

Customer Question
I was in a...

I was in a car crash 3 weeks ago, both my knees crashed into the dash board. Swollen and black and blue, the feel like they are on fire at night!

Doctor's Assistant: When did the swelling begin? Have you used any medication for it?

After the impact at the car crash I was taken to the trams center. They gave me patches and a small amount of Norca

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about patches?

Yes they are 5% lidocaine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really, pretty health until in this head on crash.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Is this is right page to speak to a doctor?
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Thanks for your question.
I amCustomeran Orthopaedic surgeon and I would be happy to help today.
I am reviewing your question and wil respond shortly.
I need some more information.
Are you able to move your knees through full range of motion?
Are you able to bear full weight on your knees while walking?
Did they do xrays of your knees at the Trauma centre?
If yes, did they find any fractures?
Are you taking any oral medicine for this issue?
I am able to move and walk on my knees. Going up and down stairs is pain full
They did X-ray my knees at the trauma unit and they said no fractures were found but it was hard to see because of all the swelling.
They gave me 16 Norco which lasted me about 5 days, and now I’m using the Lidocaine patches, but my knees still fell like they are on fire at night when I’m trying to sleep
Thanks for the detailed reply.
If you are able to bear full weight on the limbs there is unlikely to be any fracture.
This is likely to be an extensive soft tissue injury.
To improve the burning and pain you should apply ice to the knees. You may also take and anti-inflammatory medication like Advil at a dose of 400 to 600mg every 6 hours.
Tylenol may be taken additionally at a dose of 500mg 4 to 6 times a day. You may continue using the patches.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Unfortunately I can’t take Advil because of a sphincter of oddi disfunction
Do u think I should have more imaging done after the swelling goes done?
Ok, in that case you can continue taking tylenol.
Need for any further imagine would depend upon the symptoms you have after the swelling subsides.
If you feel any instability at that time MRI of knee may be needed.
Please read "imaging".