Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had pain on the right side of my head and pressure. I…

I have had pain...

I have had pain on the right side of my head and pressure. I have inflamed lymph nodes on neck and behind ear. I've been on antibiotics and steroids for a week and nothing seems to be helping. My head is extremely tender only on the right side and there are lumps, but they are not red. It's a constant pressure headache on that side with tinges of excruciating pain that last for a second or two every so often. I thought I had a muscle knot in my neck since it was tight, but that worked itself out. It's worse at night when lying down. I had an ultrasound and they said the lymph nodes are inflamed, but look benign. I have to see a ENT, but can't get in for a month. They only did a ultra sound of my neck and thyroid.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No nausea, but the headache has been constant for over 7 days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an MRI a year ago and I have a very tiny pituitary tumor and a polyp in my sinus cavity, but they said my ears, nose and throat were clear and they already ruled out shingles.

3/23/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

How old are you?

Did your doctor order any bloodwork recently? Do you know if that showed anything?

45 female in excellent health. Yes, they just did a blood test to look at my white blood count and said it was normal.

OK.

Does this hurt more on the back of the head, or the front of the head?

Do you have any sinus issues on that right side?

Any trouble with swallowing?

Any trouble with hearing on the right side?

Any recent scratches, injuries on the skin on that side? Cat scratches on that side?

Back of the head and side of the head equally painful. No injuries or scratches. I've had sinus issues in the past can't remember which side, but have been completely healthy with no issues. I started a new intense workout, but I've always been really active and thought that had something to do with it.

OK.

This is a bit difficult to pin down as your symptoms don't fit into many of the common facial pain syndromes (which you don't want to have anyways).

Back of the head pain is typically not from nerves inside the brain itself, but from the upper part of the neck -- so it is very possible that you have irritation of the upper cervical spine nerves as the cause of the pain. For example, an issue irritating the C2 nerve on the right side could cause pain that radiates up the right side of the neck toward the ear and the back of the head.

"Occipital neuralgia" would be something similar to this.

But irritation of the nerve wouldn't cause lymph node tenderness and swelling either -- and that suggests some type of infectious issue. Though you don't seem to have any other symptoms of an infection. And no red rash like the shingles would cause.

So, it definitely sounds as if there is inflammation in the neck area, right side upper cervical spine area, but it is unclear what is causing this inflammation. Hopefully you will be able to get in for further evaluation, and they may repeat bloodwork and order further imaging to see if something is going on in that area.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thank you!

Best of luck!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon