Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Injured coccyx and told I suffered coccydynia but somebody…

Customer Question
injured coccyx and told I...
injured coccyx and told I suffered coccydynia but somebody thinks it is just a soft tissue injury. But the bottom coccyx bone slipped 6 mm. Do not know what it means.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Was this seen on a xray, or CT scan?

Do you have terrible pain (in your buttock area) when you sit down, which is better when you stand up?

I can not sit without an excruciating pain
I can not sit.

Ok.

Coccydynia is pain from injury to the "tailbone" -- the coccyx.

It is very painful, and people find different positions (rather than sitting) to try and help avoid the pain -- and if they sit, try to sit on a "donut" type pillow, with a cutout in the middle, which can help to prevent direct pressure on the area of injury.

However, most people will have gradual improvement in their pain. Unfortunately, when I say gradual -- I mean about 2-3 months or so.

Some people will get injections in that area to help with the inflammation, and that can be performed by pain management doctors.

But in general, this is an injury that will take time to heal, so the goal is to try and stay as comfortable as possible over the next several weeks.

Pillow for coccydynia

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!