Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a glucose level of 106, a BUN of 26, and Calcium

Customer Question
I have a glucose...

I have a glucose level of 106, a BUN of 26, and Calcium BUN/CREAT of 33. Should I be alarmed by these numbers, and what changes should I make?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am taking Potassium, blood pressure meds, Meloxicam, and pain medication for arthritis.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take those medications daily and am allergic to Penicillin.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had hip replacement surgeries, and a serious systematic infection 2 years ago which required IV antibiotics for 4 weeks.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 2 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...I have gone through the details you have provided.

The glucose is normal, if it is a random sample and not a fasting one.

BUN is slightly high. In general, around 7 to 20 mg/dL is considered normal. But even a high protein diet might cause this much of mild elevation.

The ratio of BUN to creatinine is usually between 10:1 and 20:1. An increased ratio may be due to a condition that causes a decrease in the flow of blood to the kidneys, such as congestive cardiac failure or as simple cause as dehydration. It may also be seen with increased protein, from gastrointestinal bleeding, or increased protein in the diet.

I suggest you keep yourself well hydrated and drink lots of water per day and if still it is high after 2 weeks, then you require further evaluation.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800