Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is in ICU he was brought in Pneumonia and then…

My husband is in ICU...
My husband is in ICU he was brought in Pneumonia and then started detoxing from alcohol he is been now been sedated for five days They said that his recovery should be a lot faster but they want to back them off sedation what could be some of the long-term effects and Can he have a seizure coming off the sedation and I can cause major brain problems
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you

Yes, he can experience withdrawal and seizures which can cause brain damage if he is not sedated. Sedation itself would not cause any longterm effects rather benefits him through this difficult period.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

It’s been 5 days and should they leave him Sedated then because they want to remove him from sedation
He is still withdrawing he was drinking up to 40 beers a day for the last 3 Years but has been drinking for 21 years

If he is showing the indicators to the doctor that he can do well without sedation then it is better to go off sedation. Treating doctor can judge the best.

I think the doctor or off there game he is still Hallucinating he hit a nurse yesterday He is agitated he is irritated he is the sreaming as if he is in pain the has him strapped to the bed and he still doesn’t know where he is

In this situation sedating him mildly would be better, you can discuss this with his doctor as he has to see overall condition considering all the parameters.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor