Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does it mean to have a low platelet count (77)?

Platelets are small cells in the blood whose function is to make a plug and stop bleeding when ever any injury to a blood vessel occurs. Its normal value is greater than 150. Low platelet can cause uncontrolled bleeding so your doctor getting detailed tests to find the cause so that it can be treated accordingly.

Read full interaction below »

What does it mean to have a low platelet count (77)? My doctor is sending me for a third blood test. Medications are for high blood pressure. High blood pressure runs in family.

3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Ok, what are the treatments and what symptoms would I have?

Treatment would depend on the cause and is to treat the cause. Symptoms can be easy bruising and difficult to stop bleeding in case of trauma.

Any time I have been in hospital they have told me my blood doesn't set up like its suppose to.

You should followup with your doctor with all the tests to find the cause of it.

As far as I know, I have had this issue all my life.

Then its better to get it completely investigated to find the cause.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Best wishes.