Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is dopamine and where are dopamine receptors located?

Dopamine can be defined as a chemical messenger, a neurotransmitter, which is responsible for sending signals from the central nervous system (brain). This substance is responsible for passing information from one neuron to the next.

The receptors are found in the brain and are distributed throughout the brain. They are found in each of the neurons that are interconnected. There are several types of receptors and depending on their location, have a specific type but generally are distributed throughout the brain.

Read full interaction below »

JACustomer:

What is dopamine? Where are dopamine receptors located in the brain and body? Are there dopamine receptors in the entire brain or just certain areas of the brain?

3/23/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Expert:

JACustomer:

I heard there are also dopamine receptors in the GI tract, but those cells are not neurons and cannot use neurotransmitters, right?

Expert:

Exactly, but the digestive system is controlled at the central level (brain) so dopamine exercises its action on all systems of the body, not acting locally but in its regulatory center that is in the brain.

Edgar Rubio Villegas

JACustomer:

Thank you.