Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just researching. Lots of blood in the gums in the morning.

Customer Question
Just researching. Doctor's Assistant:...

Just researching.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Lots of blood in the gums in the morning

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Off

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

On birth control thats the only medications right niw

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?
I see that you're on birth control pills. What are your periods like?

Im 27. Periods have been spotty lately. Just had mine finshing up this month and it was normal
I dont want to call

OK.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Sometimes bloody gums can indicate something is wrong - like gum disease or plaque around the gums. Other times it may just be a matter of switching to a soft bristled brush and/or more gentle toothpaste (ie, switching from a whitening toothpaste to something more natural). If your periods are typically normal, it's very unlikely that you have a bleeding disorder. Sometimes people are just more prone to bleeding gums when they brush - the same way others are prone to nose bleeds.

If none of the above improve your symptoms, it's a good idea to see a dentist for a checkup and make sure all is well. That and a simple blood test called a blood count can make sure there's nothing wrong with your blood.

Thanks. I was thinking of making an apointment with the dentist. It wasnt a small amount of blood it was large maybe because i was grinding my teeth(my boyfriend says i do at night) if i have a tendancy to bleed in the gums.it could have been the reason but gunna see the dentist anyway

It's a good idea to go. The dentist can also clean the tartar and plaque off your gums better than you can at home.