Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was told I…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with congestive...
I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was told I could only 4 bottles of water per day...
I think this shortage of water will affect many other organs in a negative way.I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter as I could really benefit from your expertise.Thank you,,
SS
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/23/2018
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. While it's important to not be dehydrated, with congestive heart failure your heart doesn't pump as much blood as it normally should, so your kidneys believe you are always dehydrated, and will always attempt to keep too much water and your lungs will be overloaded, leading to respiratory distress or more severe complications--it's like you are drowning. For this reason, diuretics are also given for CHF. The kidneys are no longer able to properly regulate your fluid balance and so you and your doctors must do it for them, by limiting your intake and forcing the kidneys to make more urine.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Thank you for your thoughtful answer.
Won’t my other organs start to fail with very little water??I’m only 50 and I’m kinda scared.
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 3 months ago

In general, no. Four bottles of water a day is about 2 liters, depending on the size of the bottle, which is the right amount for everyone to normally drink per day. That's what I drink myself! If you spend hours walking in a desert, yes, you would need to drink more, but for everyday life, that's perfect.

It's also very important for you to limit your salt intake, because salt keeps water in your body as well. If you eat less salt, you'll have less of a problem with water retention.

Does that help?

My PCF said to drink as much as I wanted.
I want to do the correct thing, but I’m always sooo thirsty.How bad on my body would it be if added 2 more glasses of water??Bless you!!
Shauna

A good way to know if you're becoming fluid overloaded (your body isn't eliminating water like it should) is to weigh youself every morning when you wake up. If your weight changes more than 3 pounds in 2-3 days, you may be retaining water.

If your PCP felt that your heart failure was not sufficiently severe to merit fluid restriction, you can try adding more water, but I would watch your weight carefully, and watch for symptoms like shortness of breath, especially if it gets worse with lying down.

Here's an info sheet about weighing yourself: https://www.cardiosmart.org/~/media/Documents/Fact%20Sheets/en/zp3773.ashx

Thank you so much for being a constant source of information when I couldn’t get straight answers.You’re a blessing to all.
God Bless You and Yours,Shauna

You're welcome! Best of luck!